Open Water Instructor Course
Get Your Open Water Instructor Certification!
Learn More About Our Open Water Instructor Course!
Why Become an Open Water Instructor
The PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor program is your final step in the quest to become a PADI Instructor. During the IDC, you’ll learn to use and adapt the PADI System of diver education to individual student needs. Comprehensive training, supported by a wide variety of PADI educational materials, earns PADI Instructors respect from both students and peers. PADI Open Water Scuba Instructors may conduct a broad range of PADI programs from Discover Scuba to Divemaster. The PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor rating sets you apart from the crowd. PADI Instructors do things others can only daydream about. If you want to live an extraordinary life, you’re in the right place. This course is also available via PADI eLearning.
What Qualifications Do I Need to Start?
- PADI Divemaster certification or be an instructor in good standing with another training organization for at least six months ( check with a PADI Course Director or PADI Office for qualifying credentials.)
- Hold a dive certification for at least six months
- Have 60 logged dives that include night, deep and navigation dives
- Proof of CPR training within the last 24 months
- Medical clearance signed by a physician
- Have at least 100 logged dives and be an Emergency Response Instructor prior to entering a PADI Instructor Exam.
What Will I Do?
- Knowledge development through self-study, quizzes, lectures and presentations
- Confined water skill review and assessment, workshops and presentations
- Open water workshops, rescue assessment and candidate presentations
How Long Will it Take?
- The OWSI times can vary from four days to three weeks or more.
Note: must be an assistant instructor to attend.
- The IDC (includes the AI with the OWSI course) takes from seven days to five weeks. Note: must be a Divemaster to attend.
What Will I Need?
- PADI Instructor Manual
- PADI Guide to Teaching
- PADI Specialty Course Instructor Manual
- PADI Open Water Diver Manual
- Recreational Dive Planner
- How to Use and Choose Diver Computers book
- Open Water Diver Quizzes and Exam booklet
- Diving Knowledge Workbook
- Manuals for Adventures in Diving, Rescue Diver, and Divemaster
- Confined Water and Open Water Lesson Planning Slates
- Rescue Diver and Divemaster Final Exams booklets
- The Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving
- Aquatic Cue Cards for Open Water, Adventures in Diving, Rescue, Divemaster and Discover Scuba Diving